Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I graduated from high school 50 years ago

It suddenly occurred to me that its been 50 years since I graduated from high school and so I am wondering why I still feel as if I am eighteen years old.  Wayne and I are in Seattle to attend our oldest granddaughter's high school graduation. Kailin is a beautiful and talented eighteen year old and I think, excited to do all the graduation stuff.

I attended the all night party when I graduated (much to the dismay of some of my aunts.)  We went bowling, swimming, watched a movie, and had breakfast at my cousin's house.  I don't know what Kailin's involved last night but the party cost her $150.00 and she was not allowed to have her car at the school parking lot, take a purse, bag, or backpack, extra clothing---nothing but herself and the clothes on her back ---pockets were checked to make sure that they were empty.  All possible necessities were provided--contact solution, aspirin, personal hygiene etc, etc. School buses were arriving as we left the school, and Tara picked her up at six a.m. She plans to sleep all day.

As soon as I graduated, I started to work the night shift at Bird'sEye  and my summer was a nightmare. I headed off to BYU in the fall.  Kailin will head off to WWU (Western Washington University) this fall where they have strong music, and LDS Institute  programs.

At her graduation, I realized how ironic it is that we wax so lovingly about our high schools even as we are so very anxious to leave them.

Wayne's niece Breanna Carmack (who graduated from Meridian High School several years ago) saw the notice for my fiftieth year reunion for Meridian High School, on my bulletin board and had not realized that I had gone to school in Meridian.  Its getting hard to realize that I ever went to school anywhere.  And harder and harder to relate to those computer whiz teenagers who think that I went to school in the precolumbian age. It was definitely a simpler time.  Our rules said don't chew gum, run in the halls or wear jeans to school.  Kailin's rules said, don't bring a single thing but yourself to the party.

I love my computer, but I think I prefer my time.










No comments:

Post a Comment