Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tribute to Vickie Cornell Owens


I don't have access to my information since we are not at home, but in Seattle.  So, the best I can figure out is that Vickie was born somewhere in the mid fifties when I was in high school.  I remember her being a sweet little thing.  Once the family was taking a road trip up to the mountains when I was going through that teenage stuff where I didn't really want to go along and said so. Carolyn then asked me if they could leave the baby (Vickie) with me and, then as now, I couldn't say no even when I wanted to, so I said yes.  The plan being that I would get her to sleep and then read or whatever I had planned on doing.  I couldn't put her down else she would cry so I held her and finally got her to sleep.  But, alas, I still couldn't put her down.  She would wake up and cry.  So, I held her for four or five hours, until the family returned.  My plans foiled.

I recall that as a young girl she was a great cookie maker.  It was always fun to go to Carolyn's and have Vickie Cookies. Then, a little later she started sewing.  It seems that there was always a newly made dress for the Saturday Night Dance.

She and Glenn found each other and planned to be married.  When Glenn came out of the bishop's office, it was with the idea of a mission call rather than a temple recommend.  Vickie was gracious about it and waited the two years for him to return.

I remember the long anxious years when there was no baby in sight and then enormous joy when she was, at last, pregnant.  That little girl was a beauty and very loved.

Vickie was a trooper.  Even if things were hard, she soldiered on and showed so much love for others including Carolyn as she helped her from time to time.

My last contact with Vickie consisted of several phone calls from her as she updated me on happenings in her family.  She was still full of love and concern for her loved ones and was thoughtful enough to keep me posted.    I wanted to do something for her, but didn't know what.

I imagine her reunion with Terri and Allen and Amy and others of the family and can't help but think that she is a little bit lucky.  Her family will miss her terribly, but it must be comforting to know that she is healthy and happy and eternal---and waiting for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment